21 Mar 2017

Facing reality

My time here in Oldenburg, my time to come to terms with my fathers death, comes sadly to an abrupt end. I have to travel tomorrow back to Berlin again. On Thursday two revenue officers will visit at 10 o clock my atelier which in their language is a „business entity“ ( sounds funny for an artist studio ). Apparently they have been going through my books in the office of my tax consultant for the last two weeks already, and cannot understand what is „private“ and what is „commercial“ in my line of work… I cant honestly figure out how this can apply to a painter in the first place. I am never „private“ I am always „working“, if I walk along a street and see something interesting to paint, I cant say, „Oh no, I am now a private person at this very moment, this impression must not be of any interest to me and I have to come back here tomorrow at 9, when I am working again“ lets see how it goes, and if I will be allowed to continue my work here as I am used to…. so for a few days no daily painting I m afraid, and that affects me to the core of my heart…

Meine Zeit hier in Oldenburg, die Zeit der Trauer um meinen Vater, kommt leider zu einem abrupten Ende. Ich muss morgen wieder nach Berlin abreisen. Donnerstag um 10 Uhr bekomme ich Besuch von zwei Steuerprüfern, die meine Betriebstätte „besichtigen“ wollen ( komischer Name für ein Atelier). Offensichtlich habe ich schon seit zwei Wochen eine Steuerprüfung bei meinem Steuerberater, der mir alles abhält, sie prüfen meine Unterlagen, und können sich keinen Reim darauf machen was jetzt bei mir privat und was beruflich ist. Für einen Künstler ist das doch absurd, ich arbeite ja immer. Ich kann doch nicht sagen, wenn ich z.B. spazierengehe und etwas Interessantes zu malen sehe, „Oh nein, ich bin ja jetzt privat, das darf mich überhaupt nicht intressieren dieses Motiv, ich komme morgen wieder um 9 zurück wenn ich arbeite“ Mal sehen wie es ausgeht und ob ich überhaupt so wie jetzt hier weiterarbeiten kann… also leider für ein paar Tage keine Tagesbilder….


5.9 x 5.9 inch / Oil on MDF board / 15cm x 15cm / Öl auf MDF Bord


© Edward B. Gordon, all rights reserved.